Lately, cases of maid abuse have been on the rise in Singapore. It is not surprising to hear that a maid has mistreated or abused a child. This is very disappointing because a maid is someone hired to take care of “home business” while the owner is away and not cause trouble. They offer invaluable help at home including taking care of young children while the homeowner is out to attend to other matters.
This has caused homeowners to established new ways to curb the crime. CCTV emerged as one of the best options when it comes to monitoring maid abuse, as homeowners already have CCTV installed. As such, below are 6 ways how installing CCTV can prevent maid abuse.
1. A maid is someone you trust with your children while you are out attending to other matters. However, you cannot give away complete control or totally trust maids as they, sometimes, act in ways that are shocking. That said, installing CCTV cameras will let them know that you are aware of what goes on at home even when you are away. They will not attempt to do anything silly because they know they are being spied on. Therefore, it becomes very difficult for them to commit any crime knowing they can easily be caught (with evidence). This obviously prevents maid abuse.
2. CCTV are designed to record and transit moving images, including audio. Therefore, all activities taking place at home are recorded in real time, as long as the location is a designated area . However, sometimes maids may decide to commit a crime knowing very well that they are under constant CCTV surveillance. When that happens, an instance of abuse can be noted and further damage prevented. Alternatively, the CCTV can capture and relay images of an ongoing attack to the homeowner who will then decide on what to do next. You can keep maid abuse in check when using real time surveillance.
3. Maid abuse does not only mean mistreating the young ones, there have been cases of maids stealing money and other valuables from homeowners and their employers. Installing CCTV is a way to curb this crime. However, various quarters have shown interest regarding the treatment of maids, claiming maids too have their privacy rights. Regardless, employers have all the right and power to carry out surveillance installations in their homes. Moreover, there is need to protect property as there has been a number of cases where maids turned into daylight robbers and thieves (at least according to reports).
4. Maid abuse can be in various forms besides theft and mistreatment of small children. Maids can abuse your home in several ways such as inviting unknown visitors to your home without your consent, knowledge, or authority. Since you do not know any of these visitors, anything can happen. Some may turn out to be very bad people who have come to cause nothing but trouble. You obviously do not want trouble around your children especially when you are not around to witness what takes place. With CCTV installation, you will be able to monitor visitors coming into your home when you are not around. Knowing there is CCTV surveillance will prevent maid abuse.
5. After you have installed CCTV surveillance in your home, let your maid know that all activities within your home are monitored and recorded. That way, your maids will be very careful with the way they conduct themselves in your home. There has been a number of cases where CCTV has monitored and recorded maid abuse child. Moreover, once they know they are being monitored, maids will work diligently inside your home. Therefore, installing CCTV camera will help you in a number of ways.
6. You also need to tell your maid the main reason why you are installing cameras in your house. They should understand that it is solely to enhance security in your house (including their own safety). Explain to them that it helps prevent criminal activities that may occur within your home. Once they know this, they will think twice before committing anything unlawful.
Preventing maid abuse is very important for safety at home even if it means installing security camera to monitor all activities that take place in your house even when you are not around. Since the safety of your children is your top priority, installing CCTV can prevent maid abuse.